What do you know about your water? It’s clear, it’s refreshing, and you use it for practically everything. But what else?
Drinking Water Week is May 5-11th this year, a time for everyone to take a minute to recognize the importance of water and to learn more about the water in our communities and homes. This year, the American Water Works Association, founder of Drinking Water Week, is focusing in part on how homeowners can protect water, including the water that flows through their faucets and the faucets themselves.
Certain conditions in a home’s plumbing system may affect water’s quality, according to the AWWA. They provided a list of tips for maintaining home water quality:
- Clean faucets and aerators regularly
- Clean and disinfect sinks and drains regularly
- Keep drains clear and unclogged
- Use cold water for drinking and preparing food
- Replace old plumbing and install certified “lead free” fixtures
- Flush cold water taps after household plumbing work or when the water hasn’t been used for several days
- Drain and flush your hot water heater annually
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the water heater, filters, treatment devices, softeners and any other products attached to the water system
- Do not connect hoses or other devices intended for non-drinking purposes to household drinking water faucets
- Keep hazardous chemicals and unsanitary materials away from drinking water faucets
Following the tips from this list can help to maintain both your water and your home. Gillece can also help to improve the quality of your tap water itself through water quality solutions like filtration and purification systems. By reducing chemical presence and other impurities, these systems help to improve water’s taste and quality and encourage drinking tap water instead of bottled. You can also celebrate Drinking Water Week by challenging yourself to go without any bottled water for a week! Could you do it?
Latest posts by Gillece Services (see all)
- Plumbing Skills Every College Student Should Know - September 18, 2017
- Last Minute Fall Maintenance Checklist! - September 6, 2017
- Why Doesn’t My Toilet Completely Flush!? - September 1, 2017
- The Best Labor Day Weekend Activities in Pittsburgh – 2017 - August 30, 2017