Did you know that washing machine-related failures are considered one of the top 10 leading sources of residential water losses? These damages cost at average around $5,000! More than half of the failures are related to the supply hose. Another common failure that can cause a lot of money to fix is machine overflows and drain line failures. The average life span for a washing machine is around nine years while half of supply hoses malfunction in the first eight years. So I’m sure you’re asking, “What can I do to prevent these costs?”
Here are certain steps you can take to conduct monthly inspections for the washing machine supply lines:
- Look for signs such as blisters in the hose, worn tubing, stress cracks or a loose connection that show the hose might be ready to fail.
- Make sure to replace the supply hose with a reinforced steel braided hose if you determine that it shows signs of wear and tear. It will last longer and have less of a chance to result in a catastrophic water loss than a traditional unreinforced rubber hose.
- The most common site of failure is the connection where the hose bends. If the connection feels loose, tighten it.
- Make sure to replace the supply hose every five years, even if there is no obvious sign of wear and tear. Some signs might be unseen because they start on the inside and may not be seen on the outside until it is too late.
- Turn off the hot and cold water valves when the machine is not in use and always turn them off if you will be away for several days. This will reduce the risk of failure for your machine.
- Install a dual ball valve lever operated valve because it is easier to operate than a traditional one because it turns on both the hot and cold supply with only a single lever.
- Make sure to read and follow the instructions that the manufacturer has written out so you do not cause further damage such as overloading a machine, using a detergent that is not designed it or trying to operate the machine when someone is not home.
If you are unsure of your washing machine or what problematic issues might occur, don’t hesitate to call us! We will send one of our very best plumbers to make sure your questions are answered and your problems don’t turn into a serious one. Call Gillece today! 412-347-5444.
Image Credit: Mersey
Latest posts by Gillece Services (see all)
- Life Hacks – 5 Uncommon Ways to Effectively Clean Your Toilet - May 22, 2017
- Get Outside This Spring! Don’t Miss Out on These Fun Activities Pittsburgh has to Offer - May 17, 2017
- Transform Your Bathroom This Spring With These Easy Upgrades - May 11, 2017
- The Most Memorable Mother’s Day Activities Here in Pittsburgh - May 10, 2017