Most of us have been in that situation when our toilet won’t flush, the water in the sink won’t go down, or water shows up in our home where it shouldn’t. Plumbing problems are a nuisance at best, if not a mess with the potential to cause extensive damage.
The good news? Many common plumbing problems can be prevented, and your plumbing running more smoothly, if you take into consideration the following tips for:
1. Clogged Drains
- Don’t put fats, oils, or grease in your kitchen drain; they build up in pipes, blocking the flow of water, potentially clogging the drain.
- Use a strainer in the shower drain to trap hair, soap, and other debris that commonly cause clogs. Use one in the kitchen drain to collect food, especially if you don’t have a garbage disposal.
- Clean drains regularly; a plumber can perform drain and sewer cleaning to remove buildup rather than using a harsh, temporary chemical cleaner.
2. Toilet Trouble
- Don’t flush anything except toilet paper down the toilet.
- Check the condition of your toilet flapper. Made of rubber or plastic, it can easily wear out and may cause your toilet to run, which can waste as much as 200 gallons of water a day.
- Keep your faucet flowing smoothly by cleaning the aerator periodically.
- Pay attention to a dripping faucet, which is usually a minor fix but one that should be addressed right away.
4. Water Problems
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are clear of leaves and debris so water can properly be collected and drained away from your home.
- Test your sump pump by pouring water into the silo to ensure it is working properly. If you don’t have a sump pump but experience water accumulation in your basement, then consider installing one as part of an interior waterproofing system to prevent flooding and water damage.
Regular plumbing maintenance can help you to avoid those inconvenient plumbing problems while keeping your plumbing in better shape for longer. And, don’t forget to seek the help of a plumber for repairs, replacements, and more serious problems that require the knowledge and skills of a professional.
Latest posts by Gillece Services (see all)
- HVAC Benefits of Planting Shade Trees - April 24, 2017
- Spring 2017 – Air Conditioning Checklist - April 18, 2017
- Top 5 Decor Trends for Spring 2017 - April 5, 2017
- Don’t Forget Your Outlets! Top Reasons Why You Should Update Your Outlets Today - March 30, 2017