You’re probably familiar with ultraviolet light as a way to get a suntan, but you may not know how UV light can play a role in your home. In nature, ultraviolet energy from the sun helps to cleanse outdoor air by inhibiting the growth of microorganisms. Indoors, UV light is used in air purification systems to cleanse the air in a similar fashion.
Ultraviolet Germicidal Light
Ultraviolet germicidal lights (UVC) are commonly used in commercial buildings like schools, hospitals and offices to reduce the presence of germs and bacteria that can cause illnesses and infections. For home use, UV light systems work alongside your HVAC equipment and are installed within your ductwork to purify the air. UV lights especially aim to kill mold and bacteria that commonly build up on the indoor coil of a heating and cooling system.
Gillece provides and installs a dual UV light system that uses Ultraviolet Germicidal and Ozone light. Features include:
- Effective against infectious agents and toxic compounds, including mold, viruses, and bacteria
- A dual-lamp system consists of a UVC twin bulb and a UVV bulb installed into sheet metal within ductwork
- UV light exposure disturbs the DNA of microorganisms, damaging or killing them
Air Filters for Airborne Contaminants
While an air filter is important for collecting airborne particles like dust mites and allergens, an air purifier with UV technology helps to get rid of different kinds of contaminants and should be used in conjunction with a filtration system. Remember to change your air filter at least once every 3 months for an efficient HVAC system and cleaner air.
If you’re interested in UV light for your home and other indoor air quality options, give us a call! We have a wide range of IAQ solutions, including air purification systems to help you breathe healthier air.
Latest posts by Gillece Services (see all)
- Take Advantage of the Warm Weather and Complete these Easy Plumbing Projects - June 20, 2017
- Father’s Day Guide for Pittsburghers – 2017 - June 14, 2017
- Enjoy Some Fun in the Sun this June, Right Here in Pittsburgh - June 8, 2017
- Best Apps for Better Home Maintenance – 2017 - June 6, 2017