The year 2016 is a fresh start and a time to make better habits and positive changes. The New Year isn’t just a fresh start for you – it can also be a new beginning for your home.
Did you know the tap water you drink, clean with and bathe in contains chemicals? Even though the purpose of these chemicals is to kill germs and bacteria, it’s not something you particularly want to drink, bathe in or cook with. Consider installing a water filtration system this year. Not only will your tap water be chemical free, but you’ll have softer hair and skin and your food and water will taste better.
There are some very easy changes you can make to be more environmentally friendly without breaking the bank. Make some of the following changes to create green habits:
- Replace your regular light bulbs with LED light bulbs
- Install a low-flow shower head
- Turn off power strips and unplug electronics when they’re not in use
- Air-dry your clothes as much as possible by hanging them outside or on a drying rack
- Try natural cleaning remedies or buy plant-based cleaning products
- Opt for thermal shades instead of curtains
- Donate old clothing rather than throwing them out
If you’ve been looking for a way to begin modernizing your home, consider starting with apps such as Nest or Phillips Hue. Nest allows you to control your thermostat right from your phone. You can adjust your thermostat from the office or even on your way home. Phillips Hue gives you complete control of lighting in your house. You can turn on the lights in your home as you’re pulling in the driveway or use them to set the mood of any themed party. These home automations are easy to adjust to and a great change to make in 2016.
If purchasing a security system from a company isn’t in the budget, there are still some great ways you can protect your home, family and valuables:
- Purchase fake home security decals and signs online
- Install fake or non-operative outdoor security cameras
- Install inexpensive magnetic door and window alarms
- Invest in a home safe to keep valuables, family heirlooms and other important items out of sight and safe
- Install a motion light detector in the front and back of your home
Latest posts by Gillece Services (see all)
- Prepare for Spring Like a Pro! Spring Plumbing Tips for 2017 - March 22, 2017
- Turn Plumbing PVC Pipe Into Amazing DIY Projects! - March 17, 2017
- 2017 Kitchen DIY and Remodeling Trends - March 14, 2017
- Enjoy the World’s 2nd Largest St. Patrick’s Day Parade and More this Weekend! - March 8, 2017