Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and potentially deadly gas that often affects people in their homes. Found in combustion fumes, CO has the potential to leak from household appliances that burn fuel, like your furnace, water heater, and stove. Leaks are commonly due to improper ventilation or undetected damage, and poisoning occurs when leaks go undetected. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 people in the United States die each year from CO poisoning, with more than 20,000 hospital visits.
Although you can’t detect Carbon Monoxide with your senses alone, there are a number of other ways you can detect and prevent CO from leaking into your home and poisoning you or your family.
1. Annual Inspection
Gas furnaces and water heaters should be professionally inspected by a certified technician each year to ensure there are no issues that may lead to a gas leak. Gillece encourages homeowners to have their furnaces checked each fall with a Safety Startup Check.
2. Proper Ventilation
Ensure that all gas appliances in your home are properly vented so that CO has a way to escape. Having your chimney cleaned and inspected is also recommended, as debris buildup could lead to Carbon Monoxide buildup.
3. Carbon Monoxide Detector
Every home should have at least one CO detector, typically placed near bedrooms. Detectors should be tested and the batteries replaced just as you would your smoke alarms.
Before you start up your furnace for the winter, and as a method of prevention for other gas appliances, Gillece Technicians are here to help keep your home safe. We are available 24/7, 365 days a year for your emergency and repair needs.
For more information on CO prevention and safety, visit http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm.