The holidays are here and the New Year is just around the corner. Chances are, you’ve hung up lights and decorations both inside and outside of your home and you’re getting ready to celebrate with family and friends. While the season is all about good times and togetherness, some traditions may lead to dangerous situations. Gilley has five tips for staying safe this holiday so you can rest assured that yours will be filled with joy.
- 1. Avoid overload. To prevent electrical damage and fire, keep electrical loads light. Minimize the number of decorations and devices plugged into receptacles so they don’t overheat.
- 2. Light right. Make sure the lights you’re using in and around your home aren’t damaged, including their cords. Lights with cracks, frays, and exposed wiring should be thrown out rather than hung up.
- Cook with caution. Lots of food will be prepared this holiday, but don’t leave the kitchen alone while something is cooking. Fires often start this way!
- Burn with care. Many people light candles for scented holiday ambience, but they often lead to fires. Keep candles in view and at a minimum, or opt for battery-operated ones instead.
- Decorate smart. All of those decorations by the fireplace may be a ticking time bomb. Keep flammable décor at least three feet away from sources of heat and flame.
Gilley says that if you follow these tips, you can have a safer holiday. Remember that Gillece is open 24/7, 365 for all of your emergency, maintenance, repair, and replacement needs. We’ll help you to stay safe this holiday season and all year round!
Latest posts by Gillece Services (see all)
- HVAC Benefits of Planting Shade Trees - April 24, 2017
- Spring 2017 – Air Conditioning Checklist - April 18, 2017
- Top 5 Decor Trends for Spring 2017 - April 5, 2017
- Don’t Forget Your Outlets! Top Reasons Why You Should Update Your Outlets Today - March 30, 2017