Pittsburgh is constantly a city on the rise and has been named several times as one of the best cities to live in in the United States. As a city with so much to offer, it’s only natural that many great things has come out of this city as well. There are a lot of fun facts about Pittsburgh you might not know about.
Yes it’s true, people have invented things all over the world, but Pittsburgh however, is the home to many memorable and significant inventions – some which have become house hold names.
- Pittsburgher George W. Ferris invented the Ferris Wheel.
- The first polio vaccine was invented by Jonas Salk of the University of Pittsburgh.
- “Mr. Yuck” stickers were created in the Poison Center at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
- Bingo was invented by Hugh J. Ward in the 1920’s right here in Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh has been on top of its game with its endless list of firsts. From radio stations to robotics, Pittsburgh has been ahead of the rest of the U.S.
- The Pittsburgh Post Gazette was the first newspaper west of the Alleghenies.
- KDKA was the world’s first commercial radio station.
- Carnegie Melon is the home to the first Robotics Center which opened in 1979.
- The first public television station in the U.S. was WQED.
It’s always exciting finding out you have something in common with a celebrity, but finding out that they are from your city makes it seem like you have some sort of personal bond with them. You won’t believe how many celebrities are former Yinzers.
- Mister Rogers is originally from Latrobe.
- Christina Aguilera spent some of her childhood growing up right in Wexford.
- Actor Joe Manganiello grew up in Mt. Lebanon and attended Mt. Lebanon High School.
- Dancer and choreographer Gene Kelly was born right here in Pittsburgh.
Many films now days are being shot here in Pittsburgh. Its architecture and neighborhoods draw directors and it’s much cheaper to film in Pittsburgh than other cities. Watch these movies to view your city on screen:
- Silence of the Lambs
- The Dark Knight Rises
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- The Fault in Our Stars
If you’re from Pittsburgh, you know that Heinz Ketchup and the Primanti Bros. Sandwich were invented here, but check out these other well-known foods also invented in Pittsburgh:
- In 1929, Sam Isaly invented the Klondike Bar.
- McDonald’s Big Mac was invented right here in the Burgh in 1967.
- Top any salad with French fries and you have yourself a Pittsburgh salad, you won’t find that anywhere else.
Latest posts by Gillece Services (see all)
- Plumbing Skills Every College Student Should Know - September 18, 2017
- Last Minute Fall Maintenance Checklist! - September 6, 2017
- Why Doesn’t My Toilet Completely Flush!? - September 1, 2017
- The Best Labor Day Weekend Activities in Pittsburgh – 2017 - August 30, 2017